COUNCIL MINUTES APR 23
MINUTES OF THE REGULAR MEETING OF COUNCIL of the Town of Wembley, in the Province of Alberta held in the Wembley Municipal Office this 23 rd day of April 2018.
- Mayor Turnmire called the meeting to order at 7:00 p.m.
- Councillor Gundersen
- Councillor McCallum
- Councillor Johnson
- Councillor Underwood
- Councillor McDonald
- CAO Lori Parker
- Administrative Assistant Tanya Skinner
- LOA: Councillor Moncrieff
2. APPROVAL OF AGENDA
MOTION # 2018-0098
Moved by Councillor McCallum that the agenda be adopted with the deletion of:
5.2 Audit Financial Report CARRIED UNANIMOUSLY
3. ADOPTION OF MINUTES
3.1 Minutes of the Regular Meeting of Council held on April 9, 2018.
MOTION # 2018-0099
Moved by Councillor Johnson that the minutes of the regular meeting of Council held on April 9, 2018 be adopted as presented. CARRIED UNANIMOUSLY
3.2 Minutes of the Special Meeting of Council held on April 16, 2018.
MOTION # 2018-0100
Moved by Councillor Johnson that the minutes of the special meeting of Council held on April 16, 2018 be adopted as presented. CARRIED UNANIMOUSLY
4.1 8:00 p.m. – County of Grande Prairie re: Twp. 712
- Dale Van Volkingburgh – Director of Public Works for the County of Grande Prairie No 1. and Ross Sutherland thanked Council for the opportunity to meet with them and discuss Twp. 712.
- Discussion was held regarding the County grading Twp. 712.
- The section of Twp. 712 between Range Road 82 and 101 Street is the responsibility of the Town of Wembley.
- Wembley’s portion of the grading would be $427,589.99.
- Options for the County financing and Wembley’s repayment were discussed.
- Dale and Ross thanked Council for their time and excused themselves at 8:18 p.m.
MOTION # 2018-0101
Moved by Councillor Johnson that the CAO for the Town of Wembley be authorized to enter discussions and negotiations with the County of Grande Prairie No. 1 with regards to the grading and funding of Twp.712. CARRIED UNANIMOUSLY
5.1 Accounts Payable.
MOTION # 2018-0102
Moved by Councillor Underwood that the accounts payable, as identified in Schedule “A”, cheque # 20180318 to cheque # 20180371 totaling $144,350.58 be ratified. CARRIED UNANIMOUSLY
7. CAO REPORT
7.1 Attended What’s Up Wembley on April 11, 2018.
- Attended the What’s Up Wembley and handed out surveys for the Regional Handibus Study, twenty-two surveys were returned.
7.2 Attended Audit Committee meeting on April 16, 2018.
- Report not received yet.
7.3 Attended the Regional Landfill meeting on April 17, 2018.
7.4 Attended the GPREP priority meeting on April 19, 2018.
7.5 Attended the Roads Needs Assessment on April 20, 2018.
8. OLD BUSINESS
8.1 Strategic Planning
- CAO Parker was in discussion with Holly Sorgen from Community Futures and advised that Holly recommended two, three-hour planning sessions and the cost would be three hundred dollars.
- Council available September 17 and October 1, 2018.
- CAO Parker will confirm the dates.
- Discussion was held regarding the need to repair and replace sidewalks in the downtown core in front of the Post Office and Town Hall.
- CAO Parker advised that there is approximately seventy-five thousand dollars available from the Federal Gas Tax Grant that could be written for a sidewalk project.
MOTION # 2018-0103
Moved by Councillor Johnson that CAO Parker write the Federal Gas Tax Grant
Application in the amount of approximately seventy-five thousand dollars for a sidewalk
and curb replacement project. CARRIED UNANIMOUSLY
- Discussion was held regarding the road improvement proposal from Helix Engineering.
- CAO Parker advised that the MSI Grant could be written for the full amount of the project being, three hundred twenty-five thousand dollars.
MOTION # 2018-0104
Moved by Councillor Underwood that CAO Parker update the MSI Capital Grant in the amount of three hundred and twenty-five thousand dollars for 2018 Road Improvements. CARRIED UNANIMOUSLY
- Discussion was held regarding the request from the Parks and Recreation Department to purchase large towels for all the football players that are participating in the 2018 Summer Games.
- Council advised that they want the item to stay within the original Parks and Recreation budget of two thousand dollars.
MOTION # 2018-0105
Moved by Councillor Gundersen that the following reports be accepted as information: CARRIED UNANIMOUSLY
9.1 Minutes of the West County Regional Landfill meeting held on November 1, 2017.
- Discussions still being had regarding reduced fees based on tonnage.
9.2 Grande Prairie Regional Handibus Feasibility Study – Interim Progress Update – April 16, 2018.
10.1 APWA re: National Public Works Week, May 20 – 26, 2018
- Councillors Johnson and McCallum will do a BBQ lunch for the staff of Tuesday May 22, 2018.
MOTION # 2018-0106
Moved by Councillor Johnson that the Mayor of the Town of Wembley proclaim May 20 – 26, 2018 as Public Works Week in the Town of Wembley. CARRIED UNANIMOUSLY
10.2 Mackenzie Municipal Services Agency – Planning and Development 101, May 11, 2018, Peace River.
MOTION # 2018-0107
Moved by Councillor Johnson that Council authorize CAO Lori Parker and Administrative Assistant Tanya Skinner to attend the Planning and Development training in Peace River on May 11, 2018. CARRIED UNANIMOUSLY
10.3 Northwest Regional Incident Support Team email re: Members required.
MOTION # 2018-0108
Moved by Councillor Underwood that CAO Parker be authorized to attend the Northwest Regional Incident Support Team on behalf of Wembley should her schedule allow. CARRIED UNANIMOUSLY
10.4 Summer 2018 Municipal Leaders’ Caucus.
- Council accepts as information.
10.5 Letter of Complaint re: Range Road 83.
- CAO Parker advised that she received a letter of complaint regarding Range Road 83 from Stan and Bonnie Reid.
- Trucks have damaged the access to their driveway.
- CAO Parker discussed the concern with Bart McAllister from Source Energy and he had the problem rectified the next day.
11. NEW BUSINESS
11.1 County of Grande Prairie Road and Address Data Management Agreement and Memorandum of Agreement for Membership in the Alberta Municipal Data Sharing Partnership.
- CAO Parker advised that this program will allow each Municipality their own access to the program and the ability to make small changes.
MOTION # 2018-0109
Moved by Councillor McCallum that Mayor Turnmire and CAO Parker be authorized to sign the agreements pertaining to the Address Data Management Agreement and Memorandum of Agreement for Membership in the Alberta Municipal Sharing Partnership. CARRIED UNANIMOUSLY
11.2 ISL Engineering re: IDP Steering Committee Terms of Reference
MOTION # 2018-0110
Moved by Councillor Gundersen that Mayor Turnmire and Councillor Johnson be appointed to the IDP Steering Committee. CARRIED UNANIMOUSLY
11.3 SUB 2014-05 Subdivision Endorsement Time Extension request.
MOTION # 2018-0111
Moved by Councillor Johnson that the Council of the Town of Wembley grant a one-year time extension to SUB 2014-05 Subdivision Endorsement. CARRIED UNANIMOUSLY
12. COUNCIL REPORTS
- Attended the Grande Prairie Regional Tourism meeting, noting that Evergreen saw five hundred thousand visitors in 2017.
- Attended the WASP meeting, it was an interesting and heated meeting.
- Councillor Johnson requested funding on behalf of the Fire Department and has received five thousand dollars from each, Keyera, NuVista and Encana.
13. ROUND TABLE
- Advised that the new Public Works employee, heavy equipment operator started work today.
- One summer student has been hired.
- Discussion was held regarding an opportunity that the Fire Department has to purchase a new utility unit.
MOTION # 2018-0112
Moved by Councillor Gundersen that CAO Parker add twenty thousand dollars into the Fire Department budget to purchase and outfit a utility unit from the County of Grande Prairie No.1. CARRIED UNANIMOUSLY
- Attended the Volunteer Appreciation Banquet noting that Pam got two standing ovations.
- Attend the meeting at Helen E Taylor School hosted by Peace Wapiti School Division regarding the addition of two new portables and the possibility of making HET grades four to nine to accommodate the Junior Kindergarten program at Wembley Elementary.
There were approximately seventy people in attendance.
- Will be attending the Library conference this weekend.
- April 10, 2018 – Attended the Regional Handibus Open House at the Silver and Gold Seniors Center.
- April 11, 2018 – Attended the 2018 Summer Games Open House.
- April 11, 2018 – Attended What’s Up Wembley.
- April 16, 2018 – Attended the Audit Committee meeting.
- April 18, 2018 – Attended the Leaders of Tomorrow.
- April 18, 2018 – Attended the Wembley Volunteer Appreciation Banquet.
- Provided Council with contact information for anyone interested in volunteering at the 2018 Summer Games.
MOTION # 2018-0113
Moved by Councillor Johnson that the meeting be adjourned at 9:20 p.m.