COUNCIL MINUTES SEPT 24
MINUTES OF THE REGULAR MEETING OF COUNCIL of the Town of Wembley, in the Province of Alberta held in the Wembley Municipal Office this 24 th day of September 2018.
Mayor Turnmire called the meeting to order at 7:04 p.m.
CAO Lori Parker
Administrative Assistant Tanya Skinner
Regrets: Councillor Johnson
2. APPROVAL OF AGENDA
MOTION # 2018-0248
Moved by Councillor Underwood that the agenda be adopted with the addition of:
12.3 – Bi-Election.
12.4 – Offer to purchase 1998 Ford Scaffold Truck. CARRIED UNANIMOUSLY
3. ADOPTION OF MINUTES
3.1 Minutes of the Regular Meeting of Council held on September 10, 2018.
MOTION # 2018-0249
Moved by Councillor Moncrieff that the minutes of the regular meeting of Council held on September 10, 2018 be adopted with the following additions to 3.1.
- Bart will take the idea of a public open house to corporate.
- Bart will talk to corporate about putting together a public information package.
- Mayor Turnmire asked if idling engines can be kept on the track across from the old shell station.
- CN, Source Energy and the Town will meet to consider berm proposal.
- Bart noted that there is another sand plant (not Source Energy) being built on Range Rd. 91. CARRIED UNANIMOUSLY
3.2 Minutes of the Subdivision Committee meeting held on September 10, 2018.
MOTION # 2018-0250
Moved by Councillor McCallum that the minutes of the Subdivision Committee meeting held on Sept 10, 2018 be accepted as presented. CARRIED UNANIMOUSLY
4.1 7:30 p.m. – MLA Wayne Drysdale
- Thanked Council for the opportunity to touch base and provide an update noting that this will likely be the last time he is a delegation to Council as he is retiring.
- Advised that 43X was supposed to be completed for October 15, 2018 but likely will not be completed this year.
- Noted that the new hospital situation is a bit disappointing and a new contractor has been brought in for completion.
- Will not be attending the AUMA Conference this year as the Forestry Conference is at the same time.
- Brief discussion was held regarding the cost sharing schedule for the cannabis tax with municipalities.
- Noted that industry in this area is good and it is nice to see growth in Wembley and area.
- Excited about the water line progress.
- Thanked Council and excused himself at 7:45 p.m.
5.1 Accounts Payable.
MOTION # 2018-0250
Moved by Councillor Moncrieff that the accounts payable, as identified in Schedule “A”, cheque # 20180944 to cheque # 20180994 totaling $427,005.18 be ratified. CARRIED UNANIMOUSLY
6. PUBLIC HEARING
7.1 Bylaw 713 – Subdivision and Development Authority
Being a Bylaw of the Town of Wembley in the Province of Alberta for the purpose of establishing a Subdivision and Development Authority.
Moved by Councillor Moncrieff that By-law 713 receive first reading. CARRIED UNANIMOUSLY
MOTION # 2018-0252
Moved by Councillor Gundersen that By-law 713 receive second reading. CARRIED UNANIMOUSLY
MOTION # 2018-0253
Moved by Councillor McCallum that By-law 713 receive all three readings at this meeting. CARRIED UNANIMOUSLY
MOTION # 2018-0254
Moved by Councillor Underwood that By-law 713 receive third and final reading. CARRIED UNANIMOUSLY
7.2 Bylaw 603(AE) – Cannabis – Amendment Application
Being a bylaw of the Town of Wembley in the Province of Alberta, to amend Land Use Bylaw No. 603 (Section 10.9.3 – separation distance between uses shall be measured from lot line to lot line.
MOTION # 2018-0255
Moved by Councillor Gundersen that Bylaw 603(AE) receive first reading. CARRIED, 5 IN FAVOUR, 1 OPPOSED
8. CAO REPORT
8.1 Attended the ICF Council to Council meeting held on Sept. 11, 2018.
8.2 Met with AEMA representatives re: Disaster Recovery on Sept. 12, 2018.
8.3 Attended “What’s Up Wembley” on Sept. 12, 2018.
8.4 Attended the GPREP Planning and Coordinating Group meeting held on Sept 13, 2018.
8.5 Attended the Strategic Planning Session held on Sept. 17, 2018.
8.6 Attended the Grande Prairie Regional Recreation Committee meeting held on September 19, 2018.
MOTION # 2018-0256
Moved by Councillor Gundersen that the CAO Report be accepted as information. CARRIED UNANIMOUSLY
9. OLD BUSINESS
9.1 Sidewalk Rehabilitation
- Discussion was held regarding the sidewalk rehabilitation project and how it would like to be continued in 2019 and replace sidewalks along the south side of 99 Ave from 101 St. to 99 St.
- Council would like to see Public Works recommendations for the sidewalk project and move to budget deliberations.
MOTION # 2018-0257
Moved by Councillor Gundersen that the CAO amend the Federal Gas Tax Fund to carry on the sidewalk rehabilitation project in 2019. CARRIED UNANIMOUSLY
- Brief discussion was held about the walking trail swale on 99 St./92 St. and the amount of mud and algae in it. REFER TO PUBLIC WORKS
MOTION # 2018-0258
Moved by Councillor Moncrieff that the following reports be accepted as information: CARRIED UNANIMOUSLY
10.1 Minutes of the Wembley Fire Department General Meeting held on Sept. 9, 2018.
10.2 Minutes of the Community Futures Grande Prairie & Region meeting held on June 20, 2018.
10.3 Notes from the Wapiti Area Synergy Partnership meeting held on Aug.14, 2018.
10.4 Minutes of the FCSS Advisory Board meeting held on Sept. 18, 2018 and the September FCSS Director Report.
10.5 Transitional Solutions Inc., meeting summary for the Sept. 11, 2018 Council to Council meeting.
- Councillors Underwood and Johnson will attend the next meeting.
10.6 Strategic Planning Session #1 prepared by Holly Sorgen.
- Next meeting is October 1, 2018.
10.7 Meeting highlights from the Peace Library System Board meeting held on Sept. 15, 2018.
10.8 Minutes of the GPREP Planning and Coordinating Meeting held on Sept. 13, 2018.
- 3% increase has not been approved by all Councils yet.
10.9 Minutes of the GPRRC Meeting held on June 21, 2018.
- Councillor Moncrieff noted that research should be done regarding the PLUZ agreement and the changes coming to care and control of crown land as it will have a direct impact on residents of the community.
- Councillor Underwood advised that she will look into it.
11.1 Letter received from Stantec re: Asset Management.
MOTION # 2018-0259
Moved by Councillor McCallum that be it resolved that the Council of the Town of Wembley directs administration to apply for a grant opportunity from the Federation of Canadian Municipalities’ Municipal Asset Management Program for the Asset Management Project.
Be it therefore resolved that the Town of Wembley commits to conducting the following activities in its proposed project submitted to the Federation of Canadian Municipalities’ Municipal Asset Management Program to advance our asset management program:
- Asset Management assessments;
- Asset Management plan, policies and strategies;
- Ten-year capital asset budget.
Be it further resolved that the Town of Wembley commits $12,000.00 from its Gas Tax Fund toward the costs of this initiative. CARRIED UNANIMOUSLY
11.2 County of Grande Prairie No. 1 re: ACP Letter of Support for IT Project Application.
MOTION # 2018-0260
Moved by Councillor Underwood that the Town of Wembley support the County of Grande Prairie No. 1 in its application for an Alberta Community Partnership Grant to conduct a feasibility study to examine the needs of an IT Feasibility Study and Action Plan. CARRIED UNANIMOUSLY
11.3 Weaver Group Ltd – Water Pipeline Work
MOTION # 2018-0261
Moved by Councillor Gundersen that Council accept the Water Pipeline Work Plan as prepared by Weaver Group Ltd as information. CARRIED UNANIMOUSLY
12. NEW BUSINESS
12.1 Transitional Solutions Inc. re: Guiding Principles approval.
MOTION # 2018-0262
Moved by Councillor Moncrieff that the Council of the Town of Wembley accept the guiding principles provided by Transitional Solutions Inc. CARRIED UNANIMOUSLY
12.2 Agenda on Website
- Discussion was held regarding posting the Council Agenda on the website and Council instructed Administration to post the Agenda for the regular meetings of Council on the Town Web Site.
- CAO Parker advised that Councillor McDonald has given his resignation effective immediately, therefore a Bi-Election will be required to fill the vacancy.
MOTION # 2018-0263
Moved by Councillor Gundersen that Council set Tuesday, November 20, 2018 as the Bi-Election Day. CARRIED UNANIMOUSLY
MOTION # 2018-0264
Moved by Councillor Moncrieff that there will be no advanced pole FOR the Bi-Election. CARRIED UNANIMOUSLY
12.4 Offer to Purchase 1998 Flat Deck Ford
- Discussion was held regarding an offer from a Town employee to purchase the 1998 flat deck Ford for $500.00.
- It was noted that the truck is not worth the amount of repairs required to make it road worthy for the Town.
MOTION # 2018-0265
Moved by Councillor Moncrieff to accept the offer to purchase the 1998 Ford for five hundred dollars. CARRIED UNANIMOUSLY
13. COUNCIL REPORTS
13.1 Councillor McCallum
- Advised that he attended the Regional Tourism meeting and there was discussion of a Regional Chamber of Commerce.
- Beaverlodge will be spearheading the inquiry.
- Noted that the new Director is doing good.
- Took the survey idea to the P&R Board and they were enthusiastic about it.
- Christina presented a very detailed list of upcoming projects, it is really good work and will be presented at next Council meeting.
14. ROUND TABLE
- Has been engaging with people a lot about A dinosaur theme for the Town and most that he has talked to are on board.
- Regrets for the October 22, 2018 Council meeting.
Administrative Assistant Tanya Skinner
- Advised that twenty thousand dollars has been donated towards the purchase of a new Ice Resurfacer for the Arena.
- Encana - $8,000.00
- Pipestone Oil Corporation - $8000.00
- NuVista - $4000.00
- Advised that Cory the cook from the Museum has taken over the concession at the Arena.
- Noted that the October 9 th , 2018 meeting will also be the organizational meeting.
- Sept 11, 2018 – Attended the Council to Council meeting.
- September 12, 2018 – Attended What’s Up Wembley”
- Advised that he will not be available for the Remembrance Day Ceremonies this year.
MOTION # 2018-0266
Moved by Councillor Gundersen that the meeting be adjourned at 9:03 p.m. CARRIED UNANIMOUSLY