PUBLIC WORKS SHOP FOREMAN
The Town of Wembley is seeking applications for a Public Works Shop Foreman who will be responsible for directing and coordinating all public works functions, including construction and maintenance of roads, and all facilities including public recreational facilities. Directly supervises the tasks of all public works employees. This is a full-time position.
Reporting to the Community Services Director, the Public Works Foreman assists with planning, coordinates employees, and ensures equipment and materials necessary to accomplish scheduled work are available. The position tracks project costs, provides input into the maintenance and construction programs of the municipality, and as a working foreman, provides operational support.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
Assists the Community Services Director in maintaining the efficient, effective, and safe management of all departmental operations including, but not limited to:
- Municipal infrastructure construction and maintenance.
- Road construction and maintenance (grading, gravelling, snow and ice control, dust control, hard surface patching and repairs. etc.).
- Vehicle and equipment procurement and fleet management.
- Facilities maintenance.
- Act as the Community Services Director, in their absence.
- Attends Council and Council Committee meetings as a technical resource, as requested.
- Direct, coordinate and supervise the day-to-day tasks of employees within the Public Works Department.
- Assist in project administration at all stages including planning, budget preparation, supervision, cost control and reporting.
- Schedule, order and ensure that adequate material supply is readily available for use.
- Assist the Community Services Director with the development of departmental budgets; ensure that capital and operating expenditures remain within approved budgets.
- Supervise contracted services and ensure services are provided in accordance with governing contracts and within budgetary constraints.
- Conduct routine inspections of Municipal infrastructure and prioritize and schedule tasks accordingly.
- Participate in the development of policies, procedures and programs related to the departmental scope of work; assist with the implementation and monitoring of the effectiveness of any such policies, procedures, and programs.
- Ensure all vehicles and equipment are being serviced in compliance with the Municipality’s preventative maintenance program; arrange for timely repair of any defect noted in a vehicle or equipment inspection.
- Ensure all vehicles, equipment and tools are in good operating condition at any time they are available for employee use.
- Operate tools, light equipment and heavy equipment as required.
- Respond effectively and in a timely manner to inquiries and complaints received from Municipal ratepayers while on worksites.
- Ensure ongoing Municipal compliance with all legislation, regulations, policies, and procedures pertaining to the scope of work of the Public Works Department.
- Maintain accurate records and reports of departmental projects including, but not limited to, materials used, employee time, equipment time, and contracted services.
- Ensure all work-related information is kept confidential and in accordance with the Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act (FOIP).
- Supervise tasks and provide input to the Director in terms of performance evaluation and recommended discipline of employees.
- Ensure employee compliance with all Municipal policies, directives, procedures, and practices.
- As required, participate in the recruitment, selection, and orientation of new employees.
- Ensure all operating licences and professional or technical designations and certifications remain valid and current.
- Attend and participate in courses, workshops, and seminars to keep abreast of trends, best practices, and developments within the applicable scope of work
- Availability of non-traditional hours, potential weekends and holidays as the job requires.
- Provide support to Town departments
- Other duties as assigned
HEALTH AND SAFETY
- Make every reasonable effort to protect the health and safety of employees under their supervision.
- Ensure Municipal and employee compliance with the Municipality’s Health and Safety Program, as well as the Alberta Occupational Health and Safety Act, Regulations, and Code.
- Ensure timely reporting of incidents to Alberta Occupational Health and Safety as required by the Alberta Occupational Health and Safety Act to the Community Services Director.
- Ensure employees are conducting hazard identification and assessment as required and are using the hazard controls mandated by the Municipality.
- Ensure that all assigned tasks are performed in accordance with established safe work practices and formal hazard assessments.
- Ensure that employees are using tools and equipment in good working condition and are wearing adequate Personal Protective Equipment.
- Ensure that all employees under their supervision are competent to perform the tasks they are assigned in a healthy and safe manner; conduct on-the-job training with employees and recommend other training as required.
- Other duties as assigned.
EDUCATION, SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE
- Demonstrated proficiency in the operation of heavy equipment including, but not limited to grader, skid steer, loader, track and wheel hoe (excavator), packer, bulldozer, forklift, and tractor, with or without attachments.
- Demonstrated proficiency in the operation of pickup trucks with attached trailers, as well as tandem axel trucks, with gravel box and/or other attachments.
- Ability to use hand and mechanical tools, as well as light equipment.
- Ability to interact well with others and to effectively address concerns and inquiries in a professional and respectful manner.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Must be computer literate.
- Ability to effectively work as a part of a team to meet the overall goals and objectives of the Public Works Department.
- Strong time management, organization, planning, delegation, and leadership skills
- Capable of maintaining even, productive work output.
- Grade 12 Diploma or GED
- Class 3 Operator’s Licence with Q endorsement and suitable Driver’s Abstract
- Acceptable Criminal Record Check
- Transportation of Dangerous Goods
- Standard First Aid/CPR-C
- Minimum of five (5) years of experience related to road construction, maintenance, and other Public Works operations.
- Minimum of three (3) years of supervisory experience.
Closing Date: Posting will remain open until a suitable candidate is found.
Please forward your resume in confidence to:
Town of Wembley
Wembley, AB. T0H 3S0
Attention: Christina Ketchum, Community Services Director
We thank all applicants for their interest, however only those considered for an interview will be contacted.