Main content of the website


New Sidewalk Project - July 2024 - 97 Street. Click here for more information.

Sidewalk Project - September 2023 - 94 Avenue. Click here for more information.

New Subdivision Decision information click here for FILE: SUB 2023-01 Legal: Lot a, Plan 8363ET July 11, 2023

Planning and Development Department understands the values of the community and reflects those values into our plans, policies and bylaws for the immediate and future development of our town. Our core mandate is to assist our residents to achieve their development goals and objectives.

Planning and Development Department is available to discuss your development and building plans. Before beginning any project there are several steps you will need to take to make sure your new development is in compliance with local bylaws and regulations.

Development Services is governed by provincial legislation including the Municipal Government Act, Part 17 Planning and Development:, the Subdivision and Development Regulation, and numerous municipal bylaws, plans and policies.

An Intermunicipal Collaboration Framework (ICF) is recognized that the County of Grande Prairie No. 1 and the Town of Wembley share a common border, share common interests and are desirous of collaborating to provide services to their residents and ratepayers.

An Intermunicipal Development Plan (IDP) is a high level statutory land-use plan prepared collaboratively between two (or more) municipalities. IDPs provide land use and development policy direction for lands of mutual importance, agreed to and adopted through matching municipal bylaws.

A Municipal Development Plan (MDP) is a key policy plan that communicates the long term desired land use in the Town of Wembley. The Municipal Development Plan (Plan) is the primary planning policy document for use at the municipal level. It is intended to provide a framework for the ongoing development of the Town of Wembley (Town). 

An North Structure Plan (NSP) is a key policy plan that proposes a sequence of development for an area within the Town of Wembley the future land uses, the density of population, and the general location of transportation and public utilities.

A Land Use Bylaw (LUB) establishes rules and regulations for land development, as well as, the process of making decisions for development permit applications within the Town. 

Municipal Planning Policies in are intended to:

  • promote common understanding of Council’s policy objectives
  • provide direction to allow Administration to meet council’s policy objectives
  • facilitate better and more timely decisions
  • ensure uniformity in the interpretation and implementation of policy
  • encourage coordination and integration of actions and plans within and across functional areas and departments

The following policies are specific to development, subdivision, construction:

P1 - Commercial Leases 

P2 - Fencing of Property 

P3 - Letter of Compliance 

P4 - Moving Residential Dwellings into Town 

P5 - Oil and Gas Exploration


You can download and print the following forms:

Please review the land use bylaw 733 and amended Bylaw.

Development Permit Application see bylaw tab for the following information:

Development Permit information Package: Once Development Permit as been approved: Building (includes Tarp Sheds, Plumbing, Gas & Electrical permit must be obtained at the County of Grande Prairie)

  Development Permit Application Form A 

     Demolition Permit Form K (includes moving a building) See also Policy P4 - Moving Residential Dwellings into Town.

     Land Use Amendment Information Package: Application Form J

Permit (no Development Permit Application Required):
Fence Form A1

Subdivision Application Information Package:

Sudivision - Form E,  Form G,  Form H


Pay Non-Refundable Application Fee:

Residential $100

Commercial $300

Industrial $400

Signs $75

Accessory Buildings (in excess of 100 ft2) $50

Fences and Decks $50

Institutional $350

Demolition Permit: Residential $100 / Non-Residential (minimum $100) $0.50 Per sqm.

Payment may be made by cheque or money order (payable to “Town of Wembley”), at the Town Office by credit card or debit card, or by bank transfer to